Who’s number 1?

Mickael Vurro, Staff Reporters

Have you ever wondered which car brand is most driven at school?

Out of 140 cars in the student and teacher parking lot on two August afternoons, Chevrolet wins by just three cars in a close race over Ford. After tallying cars in both parking lots, we made a top five list of the most sold car brand at our school.

Chevrolet came in at number one with 38 cars. What makes them so special? Most people would buy them for their families because their sedans have good safety ratings like reinforced steel frame and antilock brakes.  For example, the Malibu, Impala and Cruze are good examples of family sedans that have this safety equipment on them. They are also well known for their sports cars like the Camaro and the Corvette. Both cars have been around for over 50 years and are very reasonably priced for what you get out of them.

Next on the list at number two is Ford with 35 cars. Ever since the 1920’s with the Model T, Ford has been considered one of the top car companies not just in the U.S. but around the world. In the 70’s, the Ford Pinto from 1971 to 1981 was the most sold car around the world, and when Ford stopped making the Pinto in 81 the Ford Escort took over the top spot. Now for the past two years, Ford is back on top with the bestselling car. However, this is not a car, but a truck. The F-150 is the best and it plans to be around for a while.

Coming in at third on the poll is Honda with 22 cars. They are well known for their highlight cars such as the Honda Civic and the Honda Accord. They are both family cars and come in different trims like two doors and four doors with child safety locks and seat belts. Both cars are very safe with the civic having an Insurance Institute and Highway Safety (IIHS) top safety pick for 2011. The Accord also scored high in safety with a five star safety rating and air bags that deploy from the front, back and sides. Honda as also well known for their safety and are currently trying to make more safety features like warning the driver when the car’s tires are at a low pressure.

In fourth is Toyota with 20 cars. Toyota with cars like the Camry and Corolla has made them one of the biggest imported brands from Japan in America. Why? Because their known to last for a long time. Toyota also has some good SUVs like the Rav4 and the 4Runner. And cars like the FTS, the Alessando, and the Supra have become some of the top supercars in Japan.

Finally, coming in at fifth is Nissan with a total of 20 cars.  Ever since the 1930’s, Nissan has made sport cars, racecars, minivans and many family sedans. Their latest model like the Altima has always had a new model for the past 10 years. With a reasonable price they come with a lot of options that come standard along with a 10 year warranty. Despite making good cars for families they also have started on making electric cars in 2010.  They did make a make an electric car but it did not fit the standards of an average car. However, this does not stop Nissan from making other electric cars.