The online newspaper for McCluer North High School

McCluer North StarGazer

An Eye for An Eye

Taylor Swift’s song confirms revenge

Rolling Stone

Rolling Stone

Rosetta Sampson, Staff Reporter

When Taylor Swift’s new song, “Look What You Made Me Do,” was released on August 24, 2017, the internet blew up with questions, asking if the song was meant for Kanye and Kim Kardashian-West. The song is purely meant for the Wests and every other person she had drama with, including Katy Perry and her ex-boyfriend, Tom Hiddleston.

Swift says that she felt “betrayed by the Wests and the relationship was ruined” when Kanye sexualized her and took credit for her success on “Famous.’’ In the song, West calls Swift a “female dog” and that he “made her famous.” Swift opens the song by calling out Kanye, literally, because of when Kim leaked Kanye and Swift’s phone conversation, which publicly embarrassed Swift.

The images of snakes represent Kim calling Swift a snake. The music video includes images of Swift’s past selves from other music videos, climbing up the side of a mountain. This may symbolize a new start for Swift. Swift has also received criticism for her song. Many people notice the similarities between her music video and Beyonce’s music video for “Lemonade.”

There have been several references in the music video, such as when Swift was in a $10 million dollar jewelry bath, when she made a gun gesture.This may refer to when Kim was robbed at gunpoint in Paris and had $11 million worth of jewelry stolen from her and was tied up and tossed in a bathtub. Off to the right side of the tub, a lonely dollar bill could be seen.This is a reference to when Swift had a groping trial against a radio DJ, whom she said had groped her at a 2013 meet-and-greet.

The throne scene also had a reference: a skull with the words “et tu, brute?” carved on its side. This comes from William Shakespeare’s “Julius Caesar,” when Julius said, “and you Brutus?” The scene with the crash car, when Swift holds up a Grammy, and is seen dressed up as Katy Perry refers that Swift has four Grammy Awards, while Perry has zero.

The scene with Swift and her backup dancers, wearing tank tops that read, “I Heart TS,” reveal that she too has had “bad blood” with Tom Hiddleston, her ex-boyfriend, who wore the same tank to Taylor’s Fourth of July party last summer. In the end of the music video, Swift, wearing her 2009 VMAs dress, said that she would “like to excluded form this feud narrative.”

This refers to when Kanye interrupted her, saying Beyonce should have won and is a reference to the phone conversation, when Swift said she never wanted to be included in the feud. Although all of the controversy and the references, Swift made #1 on the Billboard Artist 100 chart.