Anticipation for the road ahead

Anticipation+for+the+road+ahead+

Xavier Harris, Web Editor

The anticipation for the moment is building up, with May 17 in sight. The day the kings will be dethroned, and the torch will be passed. The senior class of 2013 is in power and they’ll be here for about a year.

In reality, the time has come for another junior class to step up and become next year’s senior class.

With all the excitement building in the rising seniors, the question becomes “what does senior year really mean?”

“In my country, we don’t really care about becoming a senior,” said German foreign exchange student, Eva Bottlang.

In America, becoming a senior means independence because most students will turn 18. This means they are legal adults, free to make their own decisions in the real world.

Seniors are able to take an abundance of classes that fit their interest, no matter what they may be. Not to mention the option of coming to school late or leaving early via late arrival and early dismissal. Most importantly, seniors are able to graduate early and explore the world for the months leading up to their May graduation. With all that said, senior year is a big deal.

“I want to make this year memorable,” said junior, Christopher Purley. Indeed this will be one to remember. This is the last year most people will ever see each other in a setting such as high school. A place where so much matters and there are only a small amount of times to create those special moments that will last a lifetime.

As the 2012-2013 school year comes closer, some juniors are beginning to buckle down and realize the significance this next year holds. Even so, there are different approaches taken by certain juniors to deal with the stress and preparation.

“My father and I have been prepping for this my whole life,” said Bryia Carter-King. King and her father have made up exercises to simulate her senior year daily, so that she stays on track and doesn’t lose sight of her goals of going to university. King is working hard to get to her list of universities, no matter the cost because “my dad’s got me,” she said.

Juniors like Kenneth Dumas don’t plan on worrying about what the future may hold, but instead what memories will be made in the upcoming months.

“You’re not guaranteed tomorrow, so live it up today; that’s the motto,” said Dumas. Don’t make the wrong assumptions, Dumas hopes to go to Texas University, but will stress over that later.

With all of the plans of the summer and next year being made, Purley emphasizes “staying busy.” The months will go by fast.

Nevertheless, the juniors are ready for the day they’ll finally take the throne and be crowned North’s kings and queens of the hall.