Renovating a landmark

Timothy Sutton, Staff Reporter

Dwight “Red” Singleton is a project manager who works with Boeing and used his own money and vacation time to restore the jet that many North students can recognize on the hill at the James J. Eagan Center.
Beginning in August, Singleton, a Florissant citizen, restored the fighter jet at the Eagan Center and finished in November about a week before Veteran’s Day. The jet is a F-101 Voodoo and served in the Vietnam War from 1955 to 1957.
The jet was moved to Florissant in 2004. To obtain it, the city of Florissant had to enter a list ran by the U.S. military where you apply to receive a plane that has been used. The plane was free but the city had to pay to move it for a low price of $30,000.
The plane started to fall to ruins due to vandalism such as having graffiti and even burns from a fire in the spring. Bees and wasps nests eventually became a problem as well. While restoring the plane, workers along with Singleton sealed every hole in the plane. The group also repainted it and smoothed out the metal. The city also built a concrete pathway to the plane for the veterans who are disabled who served our nation to look at the memorial that was placed there for them.
The city was a huge help to the cause by donating anything the group of restorers didn’t have and also Handyman donated the tools necessary to redo the plane.
More signs are available to look at for information about the plane and why it’s there. The plane is a symbol for all the men and woman at Boeing and the veterans who worked for our country.
On Nov. 12, Florissant mayor Thomas Schneider gave thanks to Singleton and those who helped with the renovation efforts.