Prepare now save later

Kaylah McClellan, Sports Editor

Seniors are finding it very difficult to receive scholarships and get money for college, but some have started taking advantage of programs they knew would help them in the future back when they were freshmen.

When students enter high school as a freshman, you get a chance to be apart of a helpful program called the A+ Program.

“You make a lot of connections with students and teachers,” said senior Tynai Burrow. “It’s like a close bond.”

The A+ program is a school-improvement initiative established by the Outstanding Schools Act of 1993. It is a program that pays for your tuition and general fees for any community college or technical school in Missouri. The program is raising academic standards and opening new doors to higher education. The goal of the A+ Program is to assure that all students, when they graduate, are well prepared to pursue advanced education, employment or both.

“I like the program. It allows students to go to community college or tech school and graduate without a lot of debt,” said A+ coordinator Ms. Wolf.

A student can sign up for the program when they first receive their schedule or can make an appointment with our schools Ms. Wolf. Her office is located in the House 2 lounge on the third floor.

There are no requirements to enter the program, but there are guidelines you have to meet to receive A+ funds. You must graduate from high school with a G.P.A of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale. You must also graduate with at least a 95 percent attendance average. The most important thing you have to do is complete 50 unpaid hours of tutoring or mentoring other students in the Ferguson-Florissant School District.

“The hour requirements seem difficult to meet, but I was lucky that I could during school hours and it really fit into my schedule,” said senior Chrissy Maes.

There are also rules you have to follow to stay in the A+ program throughout your high school career. You can’t get suspended for violation of type 1 behavior or you will be removed. You also can’t get more than 10 referrals that result in disciplinary action.

The goals of the program are to ensure that all students graduate from high school and that all students complete a selection of high school studies that is challenging and has identified learning expectations. It also ensures students proceed from high school graduation to a college, post-secondary career or technical school, or a high-wage job with work-place skill development opportunities.