Proposition S Passed

Demoris Buford, Staff Reporter

prop-SBy DeMoris Buford/Staff Reporter

On Aug. 5, voters went out to their local polls and voted on Proposition S, an act to allow the district to generate an estimated $4 million.

The proposition increased taxes by an extra $0.50 per $100 of a property’s assessed value. The voters approved the proposition by a margin of 54 percent to 46 percent of the vote.

“Prop. S was a very needed thing. It helped a lot of activities and saved them,” said Dr. Hopper.  “We wouldn’t have had after school activity buses. It would be hard for students to get home after various practices.”

The extra money will help maintain current class sizes, provide transportation for students, fund teacher salaries and supplemental positions such as reading teachers, orchestra teachers and other specialists, and fund ongoing maintenance of school facilities.

If Prop S failed, the district would have had to face up to $2.3 million in additional budget cuts. They also would have to eliminate third grade orchestra, fourth grade band, all after school activity buses and some after school activities.

Proposition S also affects classrooms. “It would have affected after school tutoring and helping kids get extra help,” Hopper said.

The district has already cut $4.7 million from its budget. Despite those cuts without Prop. S, the district will have to face up to $3.7 million deficit and would continue to dip further into reserves to meet expenses.

Since Prop. S was approved, the district will be able to maintain and protect educational programs and services.

It has been 22 years since voters approved an increase in the operating levy in the Ferg-Flor. School District.

h grade band, all after school activity buses and some after school activities.