Tyler Student Information System

Corbin Reardon, Staff Reporter

grading

By Corbin Reardon/Staff Reporter

Teachers and students struggle to adapt to new grading system

The implementation of the new grading and attendance system called Tyler Student Information System (SIS) has left many teachers and students struggling to adapt and unable to input or review grades on a timely basis while also trying to learn how to properly use the new features not available in the past.

Until the students become able to access their grades on Oct. 13th, many are unable to frequently track their progress to know what they need to improve on. In order to combat this, some teachers are resorting to using the older standard of paper-based reports of current grades and missing assignments. The inability to access grades is causing unneeded stress among students who don’t know where they are in class anymore.

“All of the teachers I’ve asked don’t know how to use it either – so I’ve been in the dark about my grades, not being able to view my grades is stressing me out,” said junior Kennedy Killion.

This change from Edline to the new Tyler system is not without reason, however. The old grading system used throughout the school district was more than a decade old – the attendance system was even older, coming from the 1980s. According to math teacher Mr. Baker, this system will make it easier for teachers, administrators, and students to easily review and identify problems before they become large and expansive or even irreversible.

“Data is king in the 21st century, and SIS is going to make how we manage, manipulate and analyze our student data much easier,” said Mr. Baker.

One of the problems with being unable to properly view grades as students have done in the past is based on the fact that the implementation and development of the student/parent side of SIS is not completed and won’t be fully ready to be viewed by students until Oct. 13, according to Dr. Hopper.

One of the major issues with the inability to make this system change smooth is the hostility to change, especially change which has immediate downsides but long-term positives.

“Change. A lot of people really hate change, man,” said Mr. Baker.