The online newspaper for McCluer North High School

McCluer North StarGazer

Round Two of Destruction

The south faces yet another devastation after Harvey

Kaniah Moore-Williams, Editor-in-Chief

Beginning September 8, 2017, Hurricane Irma began on a devastating path, destroying much of northern and central Cuba and continuing on to destruct the Caribbean. Irma hit Cuba as a stunning Category 5, which has not hit the Bahamas since 1924. The Category 5 storm whipped through two seaside towns, causing a fatality count of 24. Also, this is the first time in history a hurricane has maintained 185 miles an hour max winds for 37 hours, according to CNBC News.

“The task we have before us is immense but, with a people like ours, we will win the most important battle: the recovery,” said the President of Cuba, Raul Castro.

As Irma regained its strength in the Gulf of Mexico, the hurricane made landfall in the Florida Keys at about 400 miles in width. It then moved along the coast into Miami and West Palm beach, knocking out power in millions of homes and businesses.

Arriving in Florida as a Category 4, with wind speeds as high as 100 miles an hour, which decreased to a Category 2 later into the night, Irma was recorded at some point as the greatest hurricane to form over the Atlantic.

“Once this system passes through, it’s going to be a race to save lives and sustain lives,” Federal Emergency Management Agency Chief Brock Long said on “Fox News Sunday.” As the hurricane slows and passes through Florida, the restoration will commence. As of now, there are thousands of residences in shelters and waiting to see what the the next steps towards recovery will involve.

Before the initial storm hit, the state of Florida told nearly seven million residents to evacuate. While millions took heed to the warning others chose to stay in their homes.

With anticipation of the storm,businesses such as Disney World, Walmart and airports in Miami, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and Tampa closed their doors. Since the hurricane, there have been reports of looting and millions with loss of power.

“I think this is really devastating to the U.S. especially after Hurricane Harvey hit causing massive destruction,” said  Junior Diamond Carothers. The death toll has since climbed to 12 as evacuees return to the their perished communities and begin to repair and recover.