Mascot Madness

Students at Wentzville Holt High School argue over mascot name

Mascot Madness

Wikimedia Commons

Zach Stevens, Editor-in-Chief

Students at Wentzville Holt High School are in battle against each other over the school’s mascot. Views are mixed as to whether the school should stay the Holt Indians. Simon Osler, student at the high school created a petition, saying that the term Indian can be offensive to some people.

Osler said in a statement to Fox 2 News, “The term Indian and the imagery that goes along with it can be hurtful to native peoples, we at Wentzville Holt High School can do better.”

In the petition, Osler writes, “(the Indian) is an outdated and offensive caricature aimed towards Native Americans.” The school should not use an, “Image that stereotypes and marginalizes a group of people.”

With some students signing Osler’s petition, a counter petition, set up by students, who are in favor of the Indian mascot for students to sign.

Graduate of Wentzville Holt High School, Taylor Morrison said, “The Indian means strong warrior, and that’s how our school is.”

Morrison later went on to say, “If it were like Redskins I could find that racist, but I don’t find Indian racist.”

Since making the petition, Osler has been taking a hit from students and parents of the school district that disagree with him, though his petition continues to circulate.