The online newspaper for McCluer North High School

McCluer North StarGazer

The Dollar Butt Grab

Taylor Swift countersues DJ in Colorado for a $1

Taylor Swift takes a photo with DJ Mike Muller and his girlfriend before the concert, where the DJ  allegedly gropes Swift.

Taylor Swift takes a photo with DJ Mike Muller and his girlfriend before the concert, where the DJ allegedly gropes Swift.

TMZ

TMZ

Mackenzie Cosentino, Staff Reporter

While Denver DJ David Muller and his girlfriend Shannon Melcher pose for cameras at a meet and greet before a Taylor Swift concert, Muller was accused of lifting Swift’s skirt and grabbing her derriere. The incident took place on June 2nd, 2013 at the Pepsi Center in Denver, and it ended up boiling into a two-sided legal fight.
Although this incident occurred in 2013, Muller brought it back to light when he decided to sue Swift for $3 million in damages. The judge would not allow him to sue Swift for the full three million, however he did reduce it to $300,000.
In 2015, he sued Swift for defamation of character, refuting the claims cost him his job and ruined his career. Muller claimed the false groping caused him to lose him his six figure job as a host at country station KYGO-FM after being fired over allegations.
On the first day of trial, the jury, composed of two men and six women, were shown the photo of the “groping” before each side stated their opening satements. Mueller’s lawyer Gabriel McFarland’s opening statement consisted of stating his client’s hand “is not underneath Miss Swift’s skirt it is not rumpled in any fashion.”
When the DJ’s lawyer referred to the incident as an inappropriate touching, Swift’s lawyer, Douglas Baldridge, responded that “it’s not inappropriate touching, it’s assault.”
The court also claimed that Muller gave several different accounts of what took place. Judge William Martinez also made note that the DJ destroyed four devices, including his computer and iPhone which held a recording he made with his boss the day after the incident.
Although that case was dismissed, the legal fight was not over yet. Swift countersued for sexual assault in response to Mullers lawsuit. Unlike the DJ, she only sued for a single dollar. When asked why only sue for a dollar she said she is using it as an “example to other women who may resist publicly reliving similar outrageous and humiliating acts.”
Swift also says that she will donate any awarded damages to charities dedicated to protecting women from similar acts of sexual assault and personal disregard. Swifts attorney made it clear that she had no intention on making Muller go bankrupt, she simply wanted to get her message across.
Her attorney Baldridge says in his closing statements that Swift is only asking for “1 symbolic dollar” that will tell every women, rich or poor, no means no.