The online newspaper for McCluer North High School

McCluer North StarGazer

Stolen Puppy

Little girl's stolen puppy returned by thieves

Victoria Police, The Telegraph

Victoria Police, The Telegraph

Emily Schoen, Editor-in-Chief

Eight-week-old labrador puppy named Sasha was stolen during a burglary in Melbourne on November 6th along with a laptop, an iPad and some jewelry while Elena Sardi and her daughter Maia, age four, were out of the house.

Sardi said she was “heartbroken” over the dognapping and after only a week of living with them, Sasha and Maia had become “inseparable” according to the BBC. The family stated that Sasha had a medical condition that required attention.

The family made a public appeal for help, pleading with whoever took Sasha to return her home, capturing the attention of the country days before the puppy was found.

Sardi’s husband, Ryan Hood, spoke to Australian news outlets alongside a tearful Maia after the burglary in a desperate bid to track Sasha down.

Hood said the family was “ecstatic” when Sasha was returned home.

“We didn’t want to get our hopes up. And then this morning, my wife got up to make herself a coffee, walked past the sliding door and noticed there was a figure moving by the kennel and started thinking, “Is it Sasha? Is it Sasha?” and started screaming out that it was,” Hood said in an interview with ABC News Australia.

Maia spent part of the morning playing with her beloved pet; however, the Victoria Police are still investigating the break-in and are trying to locate the other stolen items. They say it is likely that the burglary occurred between 9:30 am and 11:30 am.

The family believe whoever took the puppy either “ had a conscience” or got scared after the crime attracted national media attention.

“We think that whoever took her either has a conscience or got scared and just dropped her over the fence… we don’t care to be honest, we’re glad to have her back,” said Hood. “I guess it’s probably… an isolated incident, where they’ve just committed a burglary and they’ve seen a dog and they’ve taken the dog.”

The family didn’t see how Sasha was returned, but are overjoyed to have her back. Sasha sustained no injuries during her time away from her family, but has developed a deep interest in shoes.

Senior Constable Adam Leggo told Australia’s ABC news that stealing the puppy was probably unplanned.

“It’s a bit difficult to understand what they were thinking,” Leggo said.