McCluer North StarGazer

Arizona Student Shooting

Boy found dead in school bathroom

Emily Schoen, Editor-in-Chief

On January 9, a 14-year-old boy was found dead with an apparent gunshot wound in a southern Arizona elementary bathroom.

At approximately 9:22 am, sheriff’s deputies received a report of an active shooter at Coronado elementary, between the towns of Sierra Vista and Hereford, near the United States-Mexico border.

Officers found the boy, who has not been publicly identified, on the bathroom floor. The boy was a student at the school, which serves approximately 460 students from kindergarten to eighth grade. A gun was recovered from the scene and after further analysis, was proven to belong to a family members of the eighth-grader.

During a press conference on the day of the discovery, Mark Dannels, Cochise County Sheriff, said the student was the only victim and that “the investigation is still ongoing.”

On January 10, the sheriff’s department came to a conclusion and determined the boy’s death to be the result of suicide. The Pima County Medical Examiner’s Office will be conducting an autopsy.

The nearby Sierra Vista Unified School District sent out a news release saying the campus was cleared of any other possible threat.

“The student does not have any siblings at our school district,” the district said in a post on its Facebook page.

Classes were cancelled for the rest of the day and students were bused to a nearby church to be picked up by their parents.

The sheriff said the episode rocked the southeast Arizona community. Some parents wondered how the episode will affect their children and expressed their condolences to the victim’s family.

Codi Zetich, a resident of Hereford, said his daughter is a third-grader at the school.
“There’s lots of questions,” Zetich said. “Why? How did it get that far? How can I protect my daughter in the future?”

Crisis teams have since returned to the school as have counselors to provide help to the students and staff members who need it.