McCluer North StarGazer

Suicide Awareness Gone Wrong

Backlash on Logan Paul blows up media

Logan Paul in the original video, now taken down from YouTube

The Telegraph

The Telegraph

Allison Starke, Staff Reporter

This New Years Eve, 22-year-old YouTuber/vlogger of 15 million subscribers Logan Paul uploaded his newest video “We Found A Dead Body in the Japanese Suicide Forest.” People began to speak out about their feelings relatively quickly. ,

Paul and some friends traveled to Japan to film a YouTube video in the famous suicide forest to “raise awareness” to suicide. While the friends were in the forest shooting their video, they came across a man hanging in a tree. Paul went on recording the deceased body, making jokes and laughing with his friends. The act caused outcry to his response to the suicide. He only blurred the victims face and he did not put the suicide hotline number or website in the video or in the caption bar. YouTube was so frustrated with Paul that they cut business ties with him as of January 10 and they cut is YouTube red series.

Actress Sophie Turner expressed her feelings toward the situation on Twitter saying, “@LoganPaul you’re an idiot. You’re not raising awareness. You’re mocking. I can’t believe how self-praising your ‘apology’ is. You don’t deserve the success (views) you have. I pray to God you never have to experience anything like the man did.”

Famous doctor Mike Varshavski tweeted, “Hey Logan Paul, You want to be the first social media billionaire? By exploiting the death of a troubled youth? Take a long hard look at what you’re doing with your popularity young man. Find a mentor and perhaps log off  moment. @LoganPaul #beahumanfirst.”

Despite the backlash, some people were still very supportive of Logan Paul, someone made a Twitter account under the username @Logang_M and expressed how they love Paul and will never give up on him.  

@SirenaCunningh4, follower of @Logang_M said, “All you haters out there need to stop attacking Logan because he made a mistake but he is still a human and all of us make mistakes that we regret and wish that we can take back but we can’t take them back and we have to live with those mistakes [email protected] #LOGANG4LIFE”

His fans, the LoGang, still very much respect him and still want to be a part of his life.

Paul’s lack of empathy caused him to face the consequences of being shunned by the general public and celebrities. As a response he made an apology video stating his break from YouTube. With this, the controversy, no one knows the plan for Logan Paul and his career.