Is Advisory Necessary?

Matthew Hampton, Staff Reporter

matthewHave we taken the ‘advise’ out of advisement?

By Matthew Hampton/ Staff Reporter

Although advisory may seem to be a nice break from the normal schedule of classes, many students feel that it is nothing but a useless waste of 25 minutes of their day.
In the past, teachers would have one-on-one conversations with their students, giving them guidance on important life decisions.
In recent years, teachers and students have started to take the advising out of advisement, making it into more of a wasteful part of the schedule where students have nothing productive to do.  Students no longer have this time as a valuable resource for their school career.  Many of McCluer North’s students spend their advisory period charging their phones, receiving doughnuts from their teachers or sleeping with their heads down.  Occasionally, paperwork or information may be dispersed during advisory, but for the most part the class is devoid of meaning.
I believe that the way advisory is structured currently is not the most beneficial for McCluer North students.
Several long-time teachers still remember the interactive plan-for-the-future type advisory of years past. For example, Ms. Dombrink, my advisor, makes an effort to try to sit down with their students and advise them.
I feel like North should revert to the more engaging advisory period, which allows the advisors to converse and chat with their students.  It would give students helpful insight on what they need to do in order to get the proper credits to graduate.  No longer would people be having an excuse to not know what classes they need to take or what they should do after high school.
Advisors should spend time during each advisory period having individual conversations with their advisees; to give them assistance on preparation for college life, major tests or getting all their credits.
Don’t get it twisted though; I think advisement should still be a more casual and relaxed period than an actual class.  Students want to be able to take a little break and check their phone, do homework from other classes, and have a conversation with their companions.  I want advisory to be an unique yet constructive time of the week.