Same Sex Marriage banned

Hannah Goodman, Photo Editor

hannahBy: Hannah Goodman/Photo Editor

The struggle for fairness continues for the gay community

History was made on Nov. 7 when a federal judge ruled the ban on same-sex marriage to be unconstitutional in the state of Missouri.
The fight for marriage equality has been a battle in the United States legislature for more than a decade, yet 17 states still do not allow the marriage of two people of the same gender.  It is disheartening to me to see that in such a diverse and free country, so much hate and injustice still remains.
Some people face persecution on a daily basis for something as trivial as who they love.  They are treated as second-class citizens for something they cannot help or change.  More than half the states in the United States do not have any laws prohibiting the discrimination of someone based on their sexual orientation.  Therefore, someone who identifies as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender can be denied service or employment solely because they identify as such.
It is almost unbelievable that in a country that tries to be so politically correct, marriage equality is still a right people have to fight for.  While same-sex marriage may be legal in Missouri, there is still a long way to go before a real change is made.  I know this because as I go about my day, I hear the hate everywhere.  Without much thought, people throw out anti-gay slurs and harassment.
What really bothers me however, are the reasons so many people oppose same-sex marriage.  Many arguments against same-sex marriage usually lead back to religious reasons.
Of course there is the ever-popular “gay marriage goes against my religion” argument.  While this is probably the most popular reason for anti-gay marriage supporters, it is severely flawed.
One of the things that make the United States so great is that you don’t have to follow any specific religion or its rules and morals, causing the religion argument to fall short.
The claims people make about how the sacredness of marriage would be tainted if same-sex marriage were allowed are especially confusing.
Marriage is not a strictly religious thing despite popular belief, and it is as if these people are oblivious to the divorce rate in America or the 24-hour chapels in Las Vegas.
Any of the arguments against gay marriage, whether it be about procreation, optimal environments for raising children, or the fear of more people “turning gay” all have their flaws, along with little substance to support their claims.
It is very difficult to change a person’s opinion, especially when it is on a subject as controversial as same-sex rights. However my hope is that someday soon, the struggle for equal rights for the gay community will no longer be an issue. I hope that when students a few decades in the future learn about the fight for same-sex marriage, they question why people had to fight for the right in the first place.
I hope that my voice, along with the thousands of others, is heard and listened to.
While there is still a lot of progress to be made, the ruling on the marriage ban is a huge step forward for Missouri and the country as a whole.  History is being made right in front of our eyes, and I am happy that it is in such a positive way.