Bowling: A family affair

Kaylah McClellan, Staff Reporter

Bowling since he was 2 years old, sophomore Jessie Mapp III keeps the love of bowling in his family going. He has participated in so many competitions he can’t even count them on one hand. Since bowling is his sport, he is a major part of McCluer North’s bowling club.

“It’s in my blood,” said Mapp. “It all started with my great grandfather and my dad has passed it on to me.” Jessie’s dad, Jessie Mapp II, is the coach for North’s bowling club.

So far Jessie has received $10,000 of scholarship money for college from bowling and has a bowling average of 217. The perfect score for bowling is a 300.

If he gets a full ride scholarship for bowling, all that money is his to keep. Mapp participates in four leagues: the high school league, junior bowling congress travel league, Friday night league, and Saturday morning juniors.

“I like bowling because my dad taught me how to, and there is a lot of scholarship money involved,” said Williams.

Freshman Cassie Williams and sister of Jessie Mapp, has been bowling for seven years and she loves the game. She has an exceptional bowling average of 210. Williams, who has attracted interest by NCAA Division I and II schools, is usually the youngest and only girl in your division.

“There’s a lot of pressure and the competition gets harder the more you advance,” Williams said. “I have made a lot of new friends from different states.”  Williams has participated in competitions in California, Kansas, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Tennessee and Georgia, among others.

Williams has even met famous bowlers like Pete Weber, Chris Barnes and Carolyn Dorin-Ballard.

The bowling club practices every Thursday from 4-5:30 p.m at Crest Bowl. They compete in games against other high school teams on Sundays. They compete for scholarship money, patches, ranks and items such as bowling balls, bags, and shoes.

“There are about 25 people on the team,” said Paris Stanley, bowling club member. “Anyone can join even if it’s your first time bowling.”

Paris has been bowling for fun for years, but just started bowling competitively this year.

“I love bowling because it’s for anyone and anyone can do it, you can play the game and enjoy it your whole life,” said Stanley. In the club, you are split up into four teams based on your bowling average. Then you compete against other high school students in that same range.

Bowling is a team and individual sport. The way you win as a team is having a higher total than the other team. The way you win individually is by defeating your opponent you compete against.