Encountering a war hero

Encountering+a+war+hero+

Lara Hamdan, Staff Reporter

Black history month provides something new for students to learn about African-American history in the United States. This past February, students here at North were able to learn about an event in history up close and personal.

There were two field trips that took place to allow students to learn about the Tuskegee Airmen, the first African-American military pilots in United States history during World War II.

History teacher Ms. Howard had taken students who volunteered on a two-part trip. The first part was going to the movies to see Red Tails, a film about the Tuskegee Airmen. Senior Chanel Mosley was one of the students who went to see the movie.

“It was a sad movie, but I learned a lot about history and about the first black air force,” she said.

On the second part of the trip, students headed to St. Louis Lambert Airport to see a mural dedicated to the Tuskegee airmen. Solomon Thurman, one of the two artists along with Spencer Taylor, painted the mural and talked about the process of researching and painting the 51-foot work. Chris Newman, a St. Louis native, was one of the Tuskegee Airmen and met with the students. He talked about his experience and students were able to ask questions.

“It was nice because Chris Newman is a war hero and students were able to interview him,” Ms. Howard said. The students took it in very well and left the airport knowing more about the Tuskegee Airmen.

Junior Alex Bluiett became much more appreciative.

“It was a lot to take in because it was real history… I learned not to take everything for granted because at one point life was not fair,” Bluiett said. “I realized that you should always fight for what you believe in.”