Ms. Miller leaves North with great memories

Ms.+Miller+leaves+North+with+great+memories+

Brandon Woods, Staff Reporter

Following in the footsteps of her semi-retired husband, math teacher Ms. Miller has announced that she will be retiring at the end of the school year.

“Teaching has been a wonderful experience for me,” Miller admitted.

Miller was inspired to become a teacher because of her kindergarten teacher. Ms. Miller says that she loved the way her teacher treated her; right then and there Ms. Miller knew teaching would be her lifetime career.

After she decided that she was going to teach, she ventured to the University of Missouri-St. Louis to receive her degree in teaching. Miller officially began teaching in 1973. She has taught at Fort Zumwalt North High, Riverview Gardens High, Jefferson College and our very own McCluer North. She was also a substitute teacher for 7 years. Miller began teaching at North in 2002.

Over the course of her 10 years, she has shared many unforgettable memories with the students and staff here.

One of her favorite memories was the April fool’s joke that her and the Helping Hands committee played on principal Dr. Hopper. The joke was that they had seen George Clooney at the Ronald McDonald house while they were on a field trip. Hopper actually believed them because Clooney was in town shooting the movie Up in the Air, and he began to spread the “amazing news” across the school. It was just a joke, however.

Without a doubt, Miller is a very important figure to everyone at McCluer North.

“The people in the Ferguson-Florissant school district are the best people that I have ever worked with,” said Miller. “Being able to teach in this district and at North has been an unforgettable experience.”

She admitted the best thing about being a teacher was the freedom; she was able to do things the way she wanted to. She also says that she love to see kids change over the years while they are in high school. In addition to teaching and Helping Hands, Miller has also sponsored the Scholar Bowl, been a member of the BIC Committee (Building Improvement Committee), and has done a lot of administrative work around North.

As she departs from North, she leaves a few words of advice for the many kids who plan to pursue a teaching career. “In order to enjoy teaching, you have to like kids and that’s all that matters,” Miller says.