Broke with expensive taste

Azaria Pearson, Staff Reporter

High waist-pants, “Bill Cosby” sweaters, button downs with outrageous patterns, the list goes on and on. A handful of the students here at North have been seen with these articles of clothing on along with a number of other things.

Recently, there has been a craze over what people describe to be the “vintage look,” but where do you get these unique clothes from? The thrift store of course.

There has been an influx in people going to thrift stores from your local Salvation Army to the up and coming Saint Vincent de Paul shops that are popping up more and more throughout St. Louis. For many students, including myself, thrift stores have become my go to place for clothes.

“I can’t even remember the last time I went to the mall to buy clothes,” said junior Robyn James.

The initial opinion that most people have consist of a type of look similar to what would have been worn in the 80’s and 90’s with the strange patterns bright colors and baggy clothing, but it goes so much deeper than that for some people.

The clothes are cheap, convenient and one-of-a-kind; you won’t see anyone else wearing what you have because it’s not mass-produced like clothes at the mall. The irony though is that big widely known brands are now selling clothes that are “vintage” to consumers for unruly prices. A camouflage jacket costs $59.00 at the clothing store Urban Outfitters while at the Salvation Army they are under $10.00.

“Fashion just repeats itself,” said student teacher Austin Smith.

For some, fashion and dressing is a form of self-expression while others are just following the hype. Some people, however, don’t approve of the idea of wearing someone else’s old clothes.

“It’s not something I would recommend, you don’t know what people could have done in those clothes,” said freshman Troy Taylor.

Thrift stores are sure to gain even more of a following now with the release of the now viral music video and song “Thrift Shop” by rapper Macklemore.