Restoring an icon

Taylor "Cheif" Martin, Staff Reporter

By: Taylor “Cheif” Martin

Staff Reporter

car1

Many families have heirlooms where they pass something down from generation to generation. For the Crecelius family, that heirloom is a 1970 Pontiac LeMans.

Senior Colin Crecelius has received the car from his father, Steven, who first purchased it in 1990, and drove it to school here at McCluer North his senior year.  “The LeMans has always been a big part of my family,” Crecelius said. “It’s how my parents first met.”

The story begins when his parents were friends in high school.  When his dad bought the car, he drove it up to Jamestown Mall where his mom, Angela was and asked him about the car. The story goes what was supposed to be a 10-minute drive turned to three tanks of gas and a drive that lasted to the next morning.

Crecelius’ dad said that he had originally bought the car downtown from the first owner’s brother.

Today, Colin has the car.  He drove it to school last year, but it wasn’t exactly in the best shape.  It showed a lot of wear and tear and became a project for him. A lot of work had to go in to getting the LeMans back.

Since last semester, he has started the whole restoration stages. He has already done the exhaust system, some interior design and the electronic system. Colin still has the door panels, the back seats and the carpet left to do. So far he has spent $1,000 but still has about $7,000 left to spend on the car.

The LeMans is showing its age with all the rust, but for Colin, it has given him his life career.

“Working on the LeMans has giving me my career path as a mechanic,” said Colin, who plans to attend Ranken next fall.  With he and his father both working on the car since Colin’s final year in middle school, it’s looking very good, with a few interior projects left to do.

Soon, the LeMans should hopefully be looking as good as it did 53 years ago.