Achieving success

Achieving+success

Jayden Pohtos, Staff Reporter

This season for the wrestling team has been like a roller coaster. There have been good matches and bad matches but through it all the players got better and stronger.

“I think we had a really good season,” said Coach Lapinski. Among the early season highlights were placing fifth at the All-Suburban meet, third at MICDS, second at Ritenour and division champions at the Francis Howell North tournament.

The team put in hours of dedicated practice to get better any way possible. With the help of the coaching staff, they will be prepared for any match.

“(Lapinski) pushes us hard to do our best,” said junior Matt Graham.

At McCluer North, the wrestling team is very close. They help and motivate each other to get better. They grow better as wrestlers and as friends. The motto that they live by is “Once you wrestle, everything else is easy.” This attitude led them in the right direction.

The district qualifiers were: junior Matt Graham (106 pounds), placed fourth; junior Anthony Nichols (138), placed third; senior Josh Wheeler (170), placed second; senior Randall Young (285), placed second; sophomore Travon Butler (220), district champion.

The boys’ next step was to go to get ready for state at Mizzou Arena in Columbia.

“Every wrestler that steps on the mat in Columbia has a chance to win,” said Lapinski, who determined that his team would come home from state with medals. He was right.

Senior Josh Wheeler placed fifth at state and right behind him was senior Randall Young, who placed sixth and sophomore Travon Butler, who placed third. This marked the most state medalists Lapinski has had in his coaching career at North.

For the team, the season ended up being great. “It was hectic, crazy and a life-changing experience,” said Butler, who is planning to wrestle all through high school.

Overall, the wrestlers had a good season and they all gained something out of it. Many of them are disappointed that the season is over but excited for next years. Hopefully next year will be just as successful as this one.