Girls’ Track Wins State

Girls' Track Wins State

Brittany Minor, Web Editor

girls trackGirls track takes state for first time in school history

By Brittany Minor/Web Editor

After the school’s doors had closed and most athletes were enjoying their off season in May, the girls track team was busy finishing up their season. After months of training and competing, the girls were finally awarded the title of state champions at Lincoln University in Jefferson City. Luckily for them things seemed to be headed in the right direction from the beginning.
“I knew we were going to make it to state, but I didn’t know if we could win. I still had confidence in us because we worked really hard through the season,” said junior Jayla Riggins who at the time of the win was just a sophomore.
The common understanding for the team seemed to be that though it would require hard work, there was little doubt about the team making it to state. It was whether or not the team had it in them to win that marked the difference in their mindsets. Still doubt did not stand in the way of their determination.
“Our mantra was ‘one moment at a time’ so we worked hard to think the right way and be fit enough to handle the demands of a two day meet. We figured if we did what we were capable of the results would be good,” said Coach Webster, who was also recently titled one of the top 50 girls track and field coaches in the country, by the USA Track Field and Cross Country Coaches’ Association. He says this recognition is a product of the hard work put in by the girls and the rest of the coaching staff.
“That is really a reflection of having great athletes and great assistant coaches,” Webster said. “I’m pretty much the same coach I was the year before – haven’t changed much.”
On the back of such success rides is the pressure to come back better and defend their title. Even with the loss of three seniors, the girls are still confident that they have what it takes to have another successful season, with girls stepping up and pushing themselves to be better.
One of those athletes is sophomore Sydney Rodgers, who after a time of running at a stagnant rate, managed to knock three seconds off her 4×4 time at state; her fastest time of the season. Jasmine Barge, now a senior, also stepped up taking first in her favorite event, the 300 hurdles.
There is also much hope that the team’s recent success will inspire other school athletes to go and try to test themselves amongst last years returning athletes. With the pressure of being defending champs the hurdle now becomes besting themselves.
“I think if we continue to work harder we can do it. It’s not impossible,” said Riggins. “With teamwork, hard work, dedication and just love for one another.”