Boys Basketball Win at Borgia

Justin Nelson, Staff Reporter

boysbballBy Justin Nelson/Staff Reporter

McCluer North boys win back-to-back Borgia tournaments

The McCluer North boys are used to winning. They have won multiple state championships, (07’, 11’, and 12’) and they have also won the Borgia Thanksgiving Tournament two years in a row. This season, the boys had lost 3 starting seniors from the previous team, but this didn’t discourage the Stars.
“We struggled because we missed a week of practice because of the Ferguson situation,” said senior Demarco Owens.
The Stars were able to tune it up and defeat Carnahan 95-68. Owens had 25 points and 11 rebounds, while senior Ryan Stokes had 16 points, senior Jeremiah Jackson had 13 points, senior Dominick Erby also had 13 points. In the second game against Normandy, the Stars won 96-39. Owens led the way with 21 points and 9 rebounds, Erby added 18 points, while junior Urics King also chipped in with 18 points. In the championship game against Pacific High School, Demonte Morris was given the task of defending Cullen Van Leer, a Mizzou signee and a top player in Missouri.
“I had to defend him (Cullen) and it was hard and confusing but we came out with the win.”
The Stars won the game 64-58. Owens dominated once again with 28 points and 14 rebounds and Morris had 11 points. Owens’ stellar weekend gained him an STL Post Dispatch Athlete of the Week award.