Spring Sports

Athletes prepare for the spring season

Mackenzie Cosentino, Staff Reporter

Now that the fall and winter sports seasons have come to a conclusion the spring athletes season have just just began. For some, it may be their last, but for others it is just their first. Either way, the athletes are preparing for a great season.

The Girls Varsity Soccer team hosted a jamboree with McCluer and McCluer South Berkeley, the games were hosted at the McCluer North soccer field. The Stars won both of their games that day. Their first game was away vs Brentwood High School. They won 7-0.

One of the captains, Maggie Mcgrellis said, “I think we are better than last year and we will win more games.”

The soccer team has a total of 6 graduating Seniors this year.

“The goal this year is to earn the top seat at districts and to improve in all aspects of the game” said Coach Kern.

The Boys Varsity Baseball team have started their season out with a 3-1 record.

“We have some big things that are going to happen in the season and we are currently ranked 15th in the state for class five, so i think we have a lot of potential to win state” stated junior Henry Woods.  

Their first game was against Parkway Central with a winning score of 4-2. The Stars have also shut out Parkway North 10-0.

“Basically baseball is a key to a passageway that can take me anywhere I want” said senior Amexem Hamm.

The team has a total of 12 seniors graduating this year.  

The Girls Varsity Track team had an early bird meet at Parkway Central, March 25th. Senior Amber Tate said,”we will be fine if we keep working hard.”

Michelle Owens placed in the 100 and 300 hurdles and jumps in the early part of the season.

“I feel like it is going to go really well because we have a lot of new, prepared runners and a lot of strong people coming back. So we will dominate in running and throwing” said senior Kiarra Scales.

The girls have a total of 10 graduating seniors this year.

The boys varsity tennis team has started off the year with a 1-1 record.

“It’s going to be an interesting season because all the other players are new besides me” said senior Brian Garrett.

Most of their matches have been postponed due to weather. Nevertheless the Stars picked up their first victory vs McCluer with a final score of 6-3.

Head coach Scott Braswell said, “We have a lot of inexperienced players but their is potential.” The boys picked up another win vs Hazelwood Central, with a final score of 6-3.

The boys have a total of eight graduating Seniors this year.

The boys track team have been preparing for the season ahead, they have had five meets in the early season.

Freshman Romel Logan said, “There are a lot of learning opportunities but i feel like we are going to build on them and succeed.”

Lance Lang placed first in the 100 meter dash. Tiras Jones third in the 200 meter dash. Dakari Hartfield placed in the long jump.

“I feel the seasons going well, and we are going to keep getting better” said junior Adam Gibbons.

The Stars have a total of 11 graduating seniors this year.

The boys golf team have been at work preparing for the season ahead.

Senior Michael Thomas said, “we are gonna have a fun season this year.”

The Stars first tournament was April 10th. It was some of the Stars first tournaments so players said it was a good experience.

“We have a fairly young team this year, we may have a rough season but it will be optimistic” stated senior Brett Taylor

The Stars have a total of five graduating seniors this year.