The online newspaper for McCluer North High School

McCluer North StarGazer

17 Year Old Gets the Call

St. Louis native Josh Sargent makes the US National team roster

ussoccer.net

ussoccer.net

Zach Stevens, Sports Editor

Soccer phenom and St. Louis native Josh Sargent was called up to be on the roster for the United States men’s national soccer team. The 17 year old was put on the roster for the international friendly match against Portugal on Tuesday, November 14th. Sargent will also be the first US soccer player in history to be apart of all three levels of US soccer, Under-17’s, Under-20’s, and now full national team level.

Dave Sarachan, current US head coach who took over for former coach Bruce Arena who was relieved of his duties, stated, “With this particular roster and availability of players, it was a great opportunity to bring Josh, he is in good form coming off his time with the U-17s and is someone who will be able to handle the fitness level we’re looking for in this camp.”

Sargent has recently announced he will sign with SV Werder Bremen, a club in Germany’s Bundesliga league, as soon as he hits 18. Although Sargent plays for the US national team and will soon begin training for Bremen, he is still a part of the local high school select team, the St. Louis Scott Gallagher Soccer Club.

“My full concentration is first and foremost on the World Cup (which the US failed to qualify for in early October) and the time that I have left in Missouri,” stated Sargent in an interview with his new German club’s television network. “But I am really looking forward to next year and the new challenge in Bremen.”

When Sargent officially signs with his new Bundesliga team, he will join other US national team players in Germany. A few of these players are Christian Pulisic, who are members of Borussia Dortmund, and Bobby Wood, who is a member of Hamburg.  

Along with Sagent, another St. Louisan will be making his debut for the US national team, Tim Ream. This year will be the first time since 2013 that two St. Louis natives will be on the roster for the US national team.