Tennis District Champs

Justin Nelson, Staff Reporter

tennis_boehmStars win districts; Boehm fifth at state

By Justin Nelson/Staff Reporter

Not all foreign exchange students are like Barbara Boehm. An exchange student from Munich, Germany, Boehm is an excellent tennis player. She placed fifth at the state championship recently in Springfield, Missouri.
The last member of the McCluer North tennis team to go to the state championship was Erin Ward, which was five years ago.
“It was really cool and fun, I met other really good players,” said Boehm.
Boehm has played tennis for 12 years. She continued playing once she came to the U.S. and had an excellent season and a great finish at state. She played a total of five matches while at the state competition. She played three games on Friday and two on Saturday, and she won four of the five.
“Her work ethic was very good,” said coach Bonner. “She had a tough first day and had to play three matches in which she won two of the three.”
Boehm appreciated all the support she got from friends and family.
“I enjoyed all the support from my host mom and sister they just kept cheering for me and supported me,” said Boehm.
The North girls team won the district title for the first time after finishing second two years in a row.
“We practiced every day even in the rain,” said senior Tyra Searcy. “We played around and had fun but we knew our main goal but we stayed focused and at the end we felt accomplished.”
The Stars have five graduating seniors this season, losing most of their varsity team.
“Some advice I have for the other girls on the team is just for them to keep on playing, work on their footwork, and just have fun.” Boehm said.